Difference Between Hope and Expectation
Expectations and hopes are related, since they are very personal feelings of each human being. Both are experienced by each individual on one occasion or another, however, despite the relationship between the two and the similarities they may have; These concepts refer to different things. Difference Between Hope and Expectation
To clarify your doubts, below we tell you what is the difference between expectation and hope.
HOPE Difference Between Hope and Expectation
Hope refers to the belief that the events or circumstances that the individual goes through will ultimately have positive results or have occurred for a good reason.
It is a feeling that consists of believing that our wishes will come true. It is always associated with positive feelings. For example, you can hope to live in a better place or that one day there will be no more wars in the world; but it would not be called hope if instead of the above one thought that in a couple of years the world would be destroyed by a nuclear bomb.
Above all, hope has to do with our dreams, goals, thoughts, and purposes. It involves a set of feelings that can be difficult to describe to others.
When hope does not come true, the person is disappointed; but not as much as it happens when it comes to an unsatisfied expectation.
Usually, even if hope is failed; there is always the possibility of having hope for something again. As they say out there, hope is the last thing you lose.
When it comes to hopes, many people who have them believe that fate will work in their favor to make them come true. Still, these are usually based on realistic wishes.
The expectation consists of a desire similar to the one that one has when it comes to hope, but unlike the latter; the expectation almost always depends on others to fulfill it.
Expectations can be described in the same way that hopes are described, since they are also related to the feeling of anticipation and the belief that what one hopes will happen.
Unlike hope that is more self-based, expectation involves others knowingly or unknowingly. Almost always, one expects something from others and depending on how well others fulfill what is expected; it will be our reaction and subsequent behavior.
Unsatisfied expectations lead to different results than failed hopes, since in the latter case, the person is disappointed; But when it comes to the former, individuals tend to get frustrated.
When expectations are not met, they are not recovered as often happens in the case of hopes; rather, they can lead to a series of negative feelings.
Contrary to hope, expectation is mostly related to wrong and unrealistic demands.
Key differences between hope and expectation
- Hope involves a series of feelings that have more to do with oneself and with the inner self, while expectation is almost always related to others and depends on others to fulfill itself.
- Unsatisfied expectations tend to generate more negative feelings than unfulfilled hopes.
- An example of hope would be hoping to be cured of an illness, while an example of expectation might be hoping that our partner is always in a good mood and stays fit regardless of age.
- The wishes you have when it comes to hope are usually more realistic than when it comes to an expectation.
- Generally, expectations are wishes that are expected to be satisfied in the short term; while hopes are usually long-term.