The main difference between these two concepts is that food refers to the intake of food or liquids while nutrition refers to the biological process of absorption of these. But, the distinctions are much more. So if you want to know all the differences between eating and nourishing yourself, keep reading. In this article we explain them all. what is food science and nutrition with types
What is the Alimentation? what is food science and nutrition with types
It is in every sense of the word, the action of eating food that every living organism fulfills to supply its energy and development needs. In the case of human beings, food can be very different depending on tradition, geographical location and personal tastes.
Generally the feeding of the alive organisms is classified between; Carnivores, Herbivores and Omnivores (they eat both plants and other animals). As for human beings, the latter is the most common, but by personal decision you can do without eating meat (as happens with vegans and vegetarians).
Food is of vital importance for the nutrition of the body, where each element ingested will provide a certain amount of minerals and compounds necessary for its development and maintenance. Food is also called “diet” although here it focuses more on choosing the foods to eat.
The type of diet can be classified into several groups according to the food eaten: vegetarian diet, balanced diet or Mediterranean diet among others. Note that vegetalism can also lead to veganism, which consists of not eating any type of animal products, such as milk and eggs.
Types of food by groups: what is food science and nutrition with types
The classification of the food we eat, according to its nutritional function, is basically divided into three groups:
- Protein-rich plastic or repair foods, such as milk, meat, eggs, etc.
- Regulatory or protective foods rich in vitamins and minerals, such as vegetables, fruit, vegetables, etc.
- Energy foods rich in fats and carbohydrates, such as cereals, sweets, etc.
What is the nutrition? what is food science and nutrition with types
The concept of nutrition refers to the biological process of transformation and assimilation of food ingested by the body through chemical agents that facilitate it (enzymes). This activity is essential in the development, maintenance and balance of biological processes in the human and animal body.
Nutrition is a determining factor in the health and growth of the individual. Inadequate nutrition can affect the cells of the body. The nutritional process is governed by the energy and physiological needs of the systems (nervous, digestive, cardiac, among others) and is in charge of metabolizing (transforming) the ingested food into nutrients.
It is worth mentioning that nutrition is divided into Autotrophic and Heterotrophic. The first refers to living organisms that make their own food (plants for example) and the second to those that feed directly on others or their products (as in most animals).
All these processes occur on a molecular scale and does not refer specifically to chewing (which is more typical of food) but rather to events such as digestion and absorption of nutrients at a level imperceptible to the eye.
Main differences, food vs nutrition
- Food refers to the intake of food, while nutrition refers to the processing of the ingested food.
- The feeding process is visible to the eye (chewing for example) but the nutrition process occurs at the molecular level (absorption of nutrients).
- Nutrition will always depend on the diet (food intake) and not vice versa.
- Food or diet can be chosen according to the criteria of each person, but in the case of nutrition, it works according to the specific energy needs of the body.
- In nutrition, the amount of food eaten will directly affect the process, something that is not perceived or occurs in the diet.