Difference between Data and Information in Computer
Information and data are quite related, so much so that many believe that it is the same thing and sometimes they use these words as if they were synonymous. Difference between Data and Information in Computer
To avoid making conceptual errors and clarify some of your doubts, below we will tell you what the difference is between information and data.
DATA Difference between Data and Information in Computer
The data describe empirical facts in a crude way, that is, they are taken without being processed or analyzed. Values of qualitative or quantitative variables, numbers, letters or characters, are data.
Generally, data is collected through some kind of measurement. If we compare the data and information with matter, we could say that the former are the atoms that make up the latter.
When data is processed and analyzed, so that we can predict or understand reality through it, then we say that it is information.
Information is the knowledge communicated or received concerning particular facts or circumstances. The symbols that make up the information can be interpreted as messages.
Information is much more complex than data, since in the knowledge and distribution of it our perceptions and sometimes even our feelings intervene causing different information to be obtained from the same reality or fact.
Main Differences Between Data and Information
The terms data and information can mean different things in different contexts, but the main differences between them are:
- Data is a collection of facts. Information is how you understand those facts in context.
- Data is unorganized, while information is structured or organized.
- Information is an uncountable noun, while data is a mass noun.
- The word information is used with a singular verb, while data is used with a plural verb.
- Data is not typically useful on its own, but information is.
- Data generally includes the raw forms of numbers, statements, and characters. Information doesn’t have to.
- Information depends on data.